Pages

Thursday 17 July 2014

Journal Entry - Phantom of the Opera

Visiting the bookshop a few months ago, I've spotted a book "The Phantom of the Opera". I knew there's a movie called like this and we even have it at home. But I've never watched it before. The decision has been taken at once and the little book appeared in my bag.
In this post I'd love to make a few comparing of the book itself, written by Gaston Leroux, and the USA movie from 2004.


To start with, I should say that those who like detective stories with a shade of drama, should read the book. Those who prefer romantic stories and fantastic music - movie. But myself I'd recommend to do both.
When I've started reading the book, I was quite interested by then. I absolutely loved the way of expressing ideas, thoughts and how the story was told. I felt myself a visitor in the destroyed Opera, where a kind storyteller entertained me with the most famous mystery. I swear I could hear all the sounds there while reading, starting with steps and finishing with amazing voices of opera singers.
In some pages I realised that I must watch a movie. I'm a very impatient person, so I couldn't resist leaving a book for a while (which later was left for a few months).
I should say that this movie was one of the greatest music movies I've ever watched. BUT the movie story will surprise you with a great lot of differences from a book, in some good or bad ways.
As advantages, I can name music, written by talented Andrew Lloyd Webber. I already have the printed note sheets, 'm playing them from time to time and it gives me goosebumps. The movie music will get into your blood and won't let you calm down for some time, as it did to me. It was a great enjoyment to listen to the singers and to the playing orchestra.
As for the actors, I have a few "yes" and "no". I am absolutely happy of the way they represented Raul. I didn't like him in the book so much, for his character there was ... weak, I could say.
As I have mentioned before, the book sounds like a detective story. The movie is a drama. A beautiful opera singer Christine and 2 men, from which she has to choose - lovely story. Such a beautiful Phantom, I adored his appearance and voice. But he wasn't presented even half that ugly as in the book. Which is, perhaps, good. I am glad, though, they gave us chance to pity Eric (Phantom), since in the book in the end all you feel towards this man is disgust and hatred. Well, probably not so harsh, but close to this.
Certainly, this movie does has some flaws, where I include the acting of some actors.
In common, I do recommend everyone to get familiar with these wonderful art creations and share your opinion too.

Toffy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment